In the year 2016, our lives basically revolve around this rectangular object that fits in the palm of our hand…the phone.
It can do anything and everything. From being our alarm clock, gps, camera, mp3 player, timetable, computer. Hell, it can even be a portable fan.
Not only that, our phones connects us to people, the digital world, to retail stores, to banks. To pretty much anything these days…I mean, what is life without a phone?
According to this article, there were an estimated 31.01 million active mobile phone accounts in Australia in June 2015. With a population of 24.17 million as at December 2015, thats more than 100% of people adopting it. While this doesn’t mean everyone uses a phone, there are a lot of us that use more than one.
So what does this mean for businesses?
With the mobile having saturated the market, and people spending x amount of time on their phones…why wouldn’t you tap into this glorious device?!?
Kaplan suggests that businesses should follow the 4Is in Digital Marketing.
What are they you say?
The 4I’s are:
1. Integrate: fit into consumer lives without spamming them
2. Initiate: create content that would allow users to generate their own content. This would allow a more holistic integration of business’ social presence.
3. Individualise: take into account individual interest and preference. Since phones are generally used by one person, this would allow companies to tailor to and personalise experiences
4. Involve: engage users through some sort of interactive experience
Here are some examples of companies using mobile marketing:
- Commonwealth Bank App
- Hungry Jack App
- shake and win app (also links to fb)
Let me know what you think!